Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Garden of My Soul

In spiritual imagination, I
take up again my spring-to-harvest stroll
on radiant paths where all my virtues vie
to make with love a garden of my soul.
A rose blooms there my every hour of prayer,
with each good deed, I plant a sunflower seed,
for funds I share, I give carnations care,
I say the creed for blooms my bluebells need.
My fortitude's strong and fairy thimbles blossom,
my justice thrives and jack-in-the-pulpits grow,
my prudence sprouts, the passionflowers are awesome,
my temperance ripens, tulips overflow.
All year I guard for God my gardener goal--
to live with love the beauty of my soul.

(Dedicated to our late pastor, Fr. Bill Overmann,
who loved to take photographs of gardens)

                               -- by Pete Voelz        2001

No comments:

Post a Comment