Monday, September 2, 2013

There God to Here


To God out there I used to pray,
but He is not out there,
He’s only out there in a way
that doesn’t lend to prayer,
a way where I can let Him stay,
and not get in my hair.

The place we need to meet is here,
deep inside my heart,
the place I often don’t go near,
not knowing where to start,
to meet Him here I greatly fear
--we’re better far apart.

For here God makes demands on me,
He says, “Pick up your cross.”
Though He gives it so tenderly,
to me an albatross,
a win He helps me choose for free,
without it--terrible loss.

My way lies with His victory sign,
in here I hear His voice,
to share in His design divine,
I’m forced to make the choice.
Why fear to face this choice of mine,
to weep or to rejoice?

God in my heart, I talk to You,
and see You face to face,
I know that all You tell is true,
so help me to embrace
whatever You ask of me to do
to gain Your strength and grace.

You I can’t run from nor deceive,
no place for me to hide,
Your words out there I do receive,
but finally here inside
is where I freely must believe
and in Your love abide.

            by Pete Voelz      9/2/13

No comments:

Post a Comment