Friday, August 10, 2012

Minding God



I don’t mind God--until He asks for pain,
my sins offend Him, so I’m in His debt,
to bear good fruit, death has to take the grain,*
there’s no free lunch, I must give some to get.

I earn my bread by sweat upon my brow,**
we can’t earn heaven, though pain helps pave the way,
if I want heaven, I have to suffer now,
my actions louder speak than words I pray.

“My yoke is sweet,” He said, “My burden light,”***
my debts paid here will not need purging there;
birds don’t go angry into that good night,****
why should I if I gain by pain and prayer?

“Take up your cross, if you would follow Me,”*****
“Give up your life to get eternity.”******

* John 12:24
** Genesis 3:19
*** Matt. 11:30
**** a riff on Dylan Thomas’s poem:
“Do not go gentle into that good night.”
***** Matt. 16:24
****** John 12:25
                            -- by Pete Voelz       8/10/12

No comments:

Post a Comment