Monday, August 20, 2012

God's Big Guns



I try to figure out things on my own,
I wrestle with them every way around,
too hard I try to solve them all alone,
I need to shed the fury and the sound.*

God gives me reason and my mind to use
to win my wars, both world and spirit ones,
but often I forget my need to fuse
my puny thinking with God’s bigger guns.

Before I think alone, I need to pray,
God won’t give stones if I ask Him for bread,**
He wants His grace and power put on display,
my wisdom, no, His foolishness instead.***

In dynamite explosions by surprise,
He works His miracles right before my eyes.

* With nods to Faulkner and Macbeth.

** Luke 11:11-- “If you ask the Father for bread,
will He give you a stone?”

*** 1 Cor. 1:25 -- “For the foolishness of God
is wiser than men.”

-- by Pete Voelz       8/20/12




No comments:

Post a Comment