Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lost Things

The other day I lost my face,
I could not see it anyplace.

Just like the day I lost my lap
when lying down to take a nap.
I stood up and looked all around,
my little lap could not be found.

But then I thought a little bit,
that I might find it if I'd sit,
and so I sat and that was that,
without a sound, without a map
when I sat down, there was my lap.

Just like the day I lost my fist,
that sometimes hung around my wrist.
I shook my fingers up and down,
I looked and looked all over town.

So I decided I would take
my hand and fingers and just make
the little finger ball I missed
that I would simply call my fist.

And lo, so much to my surprise,
before my very wondering eyes,
was something hanging from my wrist,
and I knew then I'd found my fist.

So then I thought I'd find my face
if I looked in the proper place,
and so, please don't misunderstand,
I'd look for it in mirrorland.

I snuck up to the mirror wall,
there wasn't any face at all.
But when I looked directly in,
I saw the biggest silly grin,
for filling up the mirror space
I finally found my missing face.

Which goes to show if you just take
a minute to make no mistake
to find in that most special place
your lap, your fist, your silly face.

                  -- by Pete Voelz      4/09

No comments:

Post a Comment