Saturday, September 17, 2011

Explicit God

I met Explicit God in church today;
He crossed my palm and finger, lip and tongue.
Implicit God put on His same display--
pumped oxygen to brain, blood-heart, air-lung.

Explicit God created dust and soul--
this Yahweh-Spirit-Word Divinity--
explicitly for senses to control,
 implicit in His own infinity.

Explicit God comes when I call His name,
His eye and ear tuned fully to my prayer.
While quiet Implicit God plays out His game,
to charm my molecules all unaware.

When His picked people lived in sand as slaves,
Explicit God led thousands through the sea.
The talking Burning Bush vowed from their graves
Implicit Messiah-God would set them free.

Explicit old Jehovah forged on stone
His Ten Commandments quite explicitly;
sweet Jesus modified their fearsome tone
to love embedded there implicitly.

Two thousand years ago Explicit God
was born, went wild, and died upon a cross.
As tame Implicit God took goldenrod
and brought our nose hayfever-albatross.

I clothed Explicit God and gave Him bread,
a common stranger though I knew Him well,
while cold Implicit God allowed instead
the ranks of hungry naked ones to swell.

Implicit God has powers beyond my ken
to make all right by His theophany;
His simple glance could save a million men,
while dear Explicit God relies on me.

Explicit God walked on the water that
Implicit God created long ago;
He calmed the winds with only His fiat,
where calm Implicit God had made them blow.

Explicit God arose from death to sky,
while down Implicit God came with all grace
to guide, to aid, to bless, to sanctify
the Church Explicit God left time and space.

Explicit God, so warm, so clear to see,
defers to all Implicit God wants done.
Implicit God takes His transcendency
and subjects all to His Explicit Son.

If facts make dear Explicit God so real,
Implicit God from all eternity
demands our faith be more than what we feel
and fuses both in holy harmony.

Our hidden God's explicit universe
may sometimes hint at distinct gods of three,
but implicit in our world is the reverse--
Their most explicit Triune unity.

Dear hidden Christ within explicit bread,
lodged there by words You said explicitly,
my senses, so explicitly misled,
give way to my explicit faith in Thee.

O unseen, silent unexplicit God,
Whose Spirit speaks so strong inside my soul,
I see implicitly Your sovereign rod,
that steers me to our most explicit goal.

                           -- by Pete Voelz         2000

No comments:

Post a Comment