Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The "I-Thou" God


God does not stop His work to hear my prayer,
He keeps right on with speeding stars in space,
but He's attentive always anywhere,
and my small prayer lights up His heavenly face.

As far away His piercing glance flies free,
He waits for me to do my little part,
I call, comes He Who never shies from me,
He visits, He Who never leaves my heart.

I want to pay attention to Him here,
I want to always sense Him near me now,
I want to know His loving presence clear,
experience full the constant "I and Thou."*

Let me, O God, in this life hear and see
the voice and face a bit that wait on me.

* The title of a book about our relationship
with God by Martin Buber a century ago.

                         -- by Pete Voelz      10/07

No comments:

Post a Comment