Saturday, October 25, 2014

A Thousand Minds


A thousand minds far greater than my own
have long ago interpreted the Bible,
for me to change their wisdom all alone
and trumpet mine would surely be a libel.

How could I disagree with Saint Augustine,*
the Fathers of the Church with smarts supreme,
great theologians like Jerome or Justin,
whom Christ appeared to in his memorable dream.

Who am I, but one who’s so often failed
to tell what God’s word means by my conceit?
Why am I wiser than those great ones hailed
by centuries for the scholarship they treat?

How can I claim that I am on God’s side,
when I’m wild-eyed and blind by my own pride?

* Augustine is still taught, even in secular universities, for
his City of God in philosophy and political theory courses.

                         by Pete Voelz     10/16/14

No comments:

Post a Comment