Tuesday, August 13, 2013

One with God


My soul and God are one in their demands,
they both aim for my near eternity,
time now to gather up the messy strands,
the checkered past of old imposter me.

God’s good to grant me time to set things square,
to make up for the folly of my youth,
time for the give and take with God in prayer,
to focus on Him in my search for truth.*

No matter what, I won’t throw in the towel,
I must hold to what’s higher than my whim,
the enemy’s growling louder on the prowl,
I look to God and put my faith in Him.

I won’t give in to fatalistic choice,
allow me, Lord, to stay one with Your voice.

* St. Augustine’s sermons show fewer classical
allusions and more Scripture as he aged.
And then there’s St. Justin’s famous dream.

                   -- by Pete Voelz      8/8/13

No comments:

Post a Comment