Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Birthday Cake for Jesus

My Mom would bake a birthday cake
for Christmas Eve and Day
to set before the manger door
where baby Jesus lay.

What He'd not taste we wouldn't waste
cuz we wolfed it down ourselves,
except a piece that we'd release
for Santa and his elves.

But then I thought what Jesus taught--
'tis better to give than take,
so for Christmas cheer I'll make Him here
His very own birthday cake.

I won't make nice with the sugar and spice
and frosting that we eat--
no, it has to be a specialty,
a more spiritual kind of treat.

I'll cut eight shares to fit eight prayers
with parts of the manger scene,
and each piece will be a gift from me,
to match all with what they mean.

The first piece to make is of carrot cake
for the stable and the manger,
protecting Jesus with a prayer of good wishes
to show I'm really no stranger.

The next to bake is a jello cake
for the Christmas star so bright,
a thankful prayer to the baby there
for His coming this holy night.

The third so nice--a chocolate slice
for the fire to keep Him warm,
petitions of mine like clothes divine,
swaddling His tiny form.

Then a share I'll cut of banana nut
for the donkey and the ox,
in different ways our prayers of praise
ring out to the coming flocks.

Because the fifth one--a marbled bundt--
is for the shepherds who kneel in awe,
and their lambs will greet with a reverent bleat
the Little Lamb of God in the straw.

An angel food cake will make them quake
to angelic hymns outpoured;
and with a glorious song the angel throng
will glorify the Lord.

For number seven--German chocolate heaven--
like frankincense, gold and myrrh
from kings of three to a king so wee--
a majestic prayer of honor.

And then for the last a delicious repast
of strawberry shortcake sweet,
with Mary and Joseph a prayer of love
makes the birthday cake complete.

But a cake, it's true, has frosting too,
made up of tasty beads,
formed in a ring of celestial icing,
a rosary of good deeds.

On each Hail Mary a red raspberry
for acts of obedience,
with Our Father strips of chocolate chips
and Glory Be peppermints.

Then I will light some candles bright
for all of the sins I've done,
and to show that He has forgiven me,
Jesus blows out every one.

And I request the angels blest
to let baby Jesus wake,
so He'll smile to see the gift from me--
His spiritual birthday cake.

-- by Pete Voelz     1998

No comments:

Post a Comment