Friday, May 20, 2011

Love Be God

The more I love, the more I am like God,
for God is love and all love comes from Him;
love's not for only those I'm fondest of,
for love's more than just feelings, blood or whim.
God orders me to love yet leaves me free
to love Him, others, myself or not to;
God's true unselfish love's not just for me,
it's better I love than be loved by you.
Love's not from God if it leads me to sin,
love that negates itself is out of place;
love's only there to let the other win,
not for my fun, but for each others' grace.
I want to love so love becomes my all,
to be like God by God's love is my call.

                                          by Pete Voelz

(Inspired by St. Therese the Little Flower,
who wrote, "My vocation is to love."
And by St. Francis of Assisi's peace prayer: "grant
that I may not so much . . . to be loved as to love,")

No comments:

Post a Comment