Friday, May 20, 2011

Light and Strength

My ship is small, O God, my sails are light,
I pray You, Captain, guide me by the shoal,
power up Your light and lead me through the night,
O gentle guard, protector of my soul.
Dark is the night, O Lord, high are the seas,
the coastline murky, God, I cannot see;
I need to make out what Your bright eye sees,
shine full Your spotlight, Lord, upon my sea.
Keep my hand on the tiller firm and strong,
hold me on course, Lord, with Your steady hand;
the waters are so deep, the night so long,
bring me to port where I can steady stand.
Your light and strength, O God, I know are mine,
I can be strong and see with help divine.

                                              by Pete Voelz

(Inspired by Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman's
"The Pillar of the Cloud" or "Lead, Kindly Light.")

No comments:

Post a Comment