Monday, August 3, 2015

Close In On God


How best to use the time that I have left?
To separate myself from worldly ways,
not to care much for things I am bereft,
and to close in on God these cancer days.

To all my friends I want to say goodbye,
clean up my messes, not leave them behind
so family doesn’t have to as they cry,
and all the time “Be kind, be kind, be kind.”*

Then, Lord, try to clean up my spiritual mess,
as I say “Hi!” to You in all I meet,
in all ways “make You more and make me less,”**
Your blood and flesh to daily drink and eat.

Though cancer-filled, let me be full of grace,
as You decide when we meet face-to-face.

* The 3 most important things to do, said Henry
James to his nephew leaving to seek his fortune.

** The goal of St. John the Baptist--John 3:30

                         by Pete Voelz         8/2/15

No comments:

Post a Comment