Friday, August 22, 2014

What Do Prayers Do?


What do my prayers that I pray daily do?
Are they “stars in my crown” I’ll someday boast?
Do they stack up so all my wants come true?
Or is it mainly me they’ll help the most?

God is attentive to my smallest prayer,
my faith as much my words He does reward,
He died for me and counts my every hair,
I am His servant and He is my Lord.

God calls me to be faithful, not successful,*
the God Who made the universe I trust,
I work hard and don’t worry if it’s stressful,
He does His part and I pray what I must.**

I know You love me, Lord, and with great care,
You hear and answer best my every prayer.

* Bl. Mother Theresa said, “I am not called
to be successful, but to be faithful.”

** St. Augustine said, “We should pray as if it all
depends on God, but work as if it all depends on us.”

                                   by Pete Voelz     8/14/14

No comments:

Post a Comment