Thursday, February 7, 2013

Nobody in Me



There's nobody in me but me,
and that's a little strange,
for I who hide alone inside
I know will never change.

My nature may seem on display
when I'm in front of you,
but you can't see the truer me,
all hidden from your view.

My views can veer from fear to cheer,
my moods swing by the hour
or sweetly glide inside my hide
while outside all is sour.

My friend may know the me I show
better than all the rest
but I know me more so than he,
yet God knows me the best.

They say each cell I know so well
will change in seven years,
so physically I will not be
the me that now appears.

But the me within the baby's skin
born so long ago
will always be the same old me
however big I grow.

The me I knew when I was two
felt very much alive,
and I know I'll feel myself as real
when I am ninety-five.

In memory I still am me
whatever my body does,
and when I'm past I hope will last
the real me that I was.

So I must leave what I achieve
that lasts eternally
and show outside to far and wide
the me that's truly me.

          -- by Pete Voelz       2002

No comments:

Post a Comment